Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Roadblocks 'R' Us

It's amazing what can shut down a person for a whole day.

On the list I left for myself after work yesterday, the first thing was "Bug 910: Resources from other offices not appearing after search". To implement this feature (I never wrote the code in the first place, so it's a bug of omission I guess), I decided to take the super-complicated stored procedure (just over 900 lines) Matt wrote and I modified and remove something like 60% of it. So I fired up the query analyzer, selected "Edit" for the existing sproc, changed the sproc name, and pressed F5 (this should create an identical sproc with a different name).

Oops, not so fast!
Server: Msg 170, Level 15, State 1, Line 524
Line 524: Incorrect syntax near '('.
What happened?

So I figured somehow I hit delete or something and removed something. I find the line number mentioned, but there's nothing wrong with it. Plus how could there be? I just extracted that code directly from the existing sproc, which already runs? It's impossible.

My brain just shut down. I could not parse how this could possibly be happening. It's like writing "x = 1" and then "isTrue(x = 1)" returns false.

And how do you ask for help with something like this? "Hey Joseph, my SQL isn't working, but it was, and now there's an invisible bug somewhere... can you help me go line by line through this 900 line sproc?" I think he'd shoot me.

I still haven't figured it out.

No comments:

All rights reserved. Take that!