Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Act Now to Offend Your Customers!

Another company calling to upsell me! Does this actually work on people?

We get the Sunday paper for the coupons, and I get a call from a hurried rep. This particular rep apparently works on commission for Boston Globe, because she's trying to upsell me to the weekend edition (not even sure what that really is, she was talking too fast for me to understand). I politely declined once, and she persisted, saying she "wasn't looking for a long term commitment." I politely declined again, and she said "OK," and abruptly hung up.

My opinion of the Boston Globe has declined at this time. What could Boston Globe have done better? What if a rep (not under time pressure) called me to ask how I was enjoying the Boston Globe? What parts of the Sunday paper do I enjoy the most? What could they do to make my experience better? She would have learned that I order the Sunday paper just for the coupons. Maybe she could have talked to me as an adult and suggested ways for me to enjoy the paper I already get more than I do now. Maybe that would have led to me reading the paper. Maybe I would have decided that I wanted more issues of the Globe.

Instead, a pushy sales rep tried to push an upsell on me. Bush league, Boston Globe.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Up until the point you said you only get the Sunday paper for the coupons, I was very confused by you having a paper subscription. I mean, who reads a newspaper anymore these days?
Seriously though, how long before newspapers are few and far between or non-existent? My guess is we don't see them after 2030. With their market shrinking (as the baby boomers stop reading papers, due to natural causes), I see them as going the way of the dinosaur.

All rights reserved. Take that!